domingo, 28 de noviembre de 2010

Guitar start

Tonight Jess (my flatmate) decided to try teaching me some guitar chords. Like a lot of other useful things, I have long forgotten the chords I learnt while in School. As I was trying to hold the strings down on each fret was proving difficult with having nails that are not even that long, I clipped them off all in the name of Art. Muscial Art. Although they give a better grip now on the strings, my fingers do feel a bit weird having them so short. I also still have dents on my finger tips from pressing the strings down so hard. I am sure that it will all be worth it when I am able to skillfully pluck the guitar like I were Sash in the making.
The first song I am learning, as it supposedly the easiest having only 3 chords to change. A, D, A,D, A,D, A, D, E. Can anyone guess which song?..  That's right. Leaving on a jet plane. Co-ordinating hand and brain was proving to be difficult for as soon as I would hold a chord I would forget the words to the song, even though I have sung it many a time and as often as I leave on a plane. But surprising to myself and I think also to Jessica, I picked up the changing of the chords relatively quickly and was able to sing the song while strumming, occasionally somewhat hesitantly. To say I am proud of myself and geared up for putting effort into really learning how to play, I think is not untrue.
When I get the keyboard, that is sitting forlornly by the guitar in the corner, working again, then I can form my one man band. I just need to put learning the bongos on the end of my list. First things first. I need to buy a 6th string for my guitar as a friend (whom shall remain nameless) broke it while having a wee strum herself. Without it, while easier to learn having less strings to put your fingers on, it doesn't quite give the right sound.

We shall see if 6 months from now I will be serenading anyone who comes by my street with some beautiful music.

Blog out.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario